TYPES OF BRAIN INJURIES
There are a wide range of different brain injuries, from mild injuries to damage that can leave victims in a vegetative state.
Possible injuries include:
- Concussion . As seen in the cases of NFL players like Jim McMahon, concussions, which are the result of a blow to the head or sudden momentum that causes the brain to move violently inside the skull, violent shaking of the head or whiplash and are the most common type of TBI, are often treated as minor accidents, even though they can lead to lifelong health problems.
- Contusion . Caused by direct impact to the head, a contusion is a bruise on the brain that could require surgery if the bleeding is serious enough.
- Diffuse Axonal Injury . This particular TBI is the result of severe shaking or rotation of the head, which causes the structures of the brain to tear. Common causes include Shaken Baby Syndrome or traffic accidents. The resulting trauma can lead to permanent brain damage due to nerve damage the disrupts the brain’s ability to send messages to the rest of the body.
- Penetrating Injury . Penetration injuries occur when gunshot wounds, knife wounds or wounds caused by other sharp objects sends hair, skin or bone fragments into the brain after penetrating the skull. Gunshot wounds especially can cause widespread damage, either by ricocheting within the skull or penetrating and through the other side, which increases the area of damage significantly.
- Anoxic Brain Injury . Anoxia is the result of the brain being deprived of oxygen, either from a stroke, exposure to toxins, drowning or another type of incident that prevents cells receiving the oxygen they need to function.
- Hypoxic Brain Injury . Hypoxia occurs when the brain receives some but not enough oxygen, resulting in brain damage. COPD, which causes less oxygen to be available to brain cells, can cause hypoxic brain injury in the long term.
We Love our clients and they love us too.
See what they have to say
Working with David was a pleasure. From the first time I spoke to him I felt at ease with him as he seemed more concerned with my well-being before all. He was always keeping me updated on everything every step through the process and was always available for me if I had a question. David delivered more than expected for me in every way and I would recommend him to anyone. A real class act with your best interest at heart!
Best in Chicago; Dave is connected in the area to several doctors/practices and will assist in making sure everything goes as smooth and professional as possible. Great experience and will keep recommending to those in need of a personal injury lawyer!
I couldn’t have asked for a better injury lawyer. David Schwaner was wonderful to work with. He’s straightforward and gets the job done, all the while being most compassionate. I wish I could choose 6s. I’d recommend Schwaner Injury Law above all.
David help our family out he took time out to explain everything and was so caring the car accident was do bad that David cried because my son was shot at 30 times and had a bad injury that needed surgery david work night and day because we did not have the best insurance company
If you want a lawyer with compassion, a conscience, and a strong base of knowledge and experience, David’s your guy. I found myself seriously injured while traveling alone. He treated me with respect, patience, and genuine honesty even when I couldn’t really advocate for myself or think straight due to medications (this is where his patience came in). While it turned out that there wasn’t much any attorney could have done for me, he certainly exhausted every option, and I have no doubt he would have fought well for me had a trial occurred. The only drawback to having hired Mr. Schwaner is that I can no longer tell all those awful lawyer jokes. He ruined them all for me. But that’s a price I’m happy to have paid.
I was recommended to Schwaner by another yelper. I Visited this office recently, located in the garner building. They are time efficient people here, things are organized and done when they give you their word to be. After my meeting I must say that the staff is very helpful and David is extremely supportive of his clients. He was ready to answer all questions and commit to necessary steps to help solve the situation immediately. He is one of the best out here!
I am truely grateful to David who dealt with the insurance companies on our behalf. We had our own injury to handle and luckily we were able to come in contact with David. He gave us assurance that he would take care of everything. He was very adamant on keeping us informed of the status of the case throughout the process. I hope that I never have to deal with a situation like this again in the future, but if I do I know I can trust David to relieve our worries and be there for us.